Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Thing 22 Audiobooks

I successfully found, checked out, and listened to some of And Then There Were None, which is the sort of thing I listen to as an audiobook.

Some narrators and productions are so good, that the audiobook is even better than the book, I think. One is Jim Dale, the narrator for the Harry Potter books. I confess that I found young Harry of no interest whatsoever. But I decided to check out the first book (on CD, shortly after it came out) and really liked his voice. I've listened to all but the last book (and I'll eventually get around to that one, when taking a long trip or something like that). And I could listen to Lisette Lecat (the narrator of, among other things, The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency) read the telephone book. I picked up that audiobook completely by accident. I didn't care much for the story, as there's not much to it. But it made a fine vehicle for Ms. Lecat's voice.

What I liked about the downloaded version of the audiobooks was there there were no bulky cassettes or CDs to manage. And it seemed that it would be easy to keep up with one's place in the story.

All in all, a very nice service.

No comments: