Monday, October 1, 2007

7 and a half habits

1. Begin with the end in mind. My goal for this blog and for the 23½ things is simple enough: to take part each week. I'm excited to see how others here learn and use the tools and I'm looking forward to learning new things. I also have a goal, longer term than this program, to think of the best ways (trying things that turn out not to be the best ways, most likely) to use the Web 2.0 concepts to improve communication within, among, from and to librarians and library workers.

2. Accept responsibility for your own learning. I'm comfortable with that.

3. View problems as challanges. I think this is an important habit for life and one that I had a lot of great examples as a child and as a young librarian to see how others lived out this habit.

4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner. I really find that most everyone who works in libraries is confident and comfortable learning.

5. Create your own learning toolbox. I read other blogs, talk with librarians, talk with friends in other fields (social work, sociology, and retail are the ones I think I've learned the most from) and read. I also find that I look for the tools with the problem...make that opportunity presents itself. So, I didn't seek out photo sharing tools until a friend asked me to put a picture of my dog on my other blog.

6. Use technology to your advantage. I try to do that.

7. Teach/mentor others. Recently I'm showing a group of librarians from around the country how to use Facebook. That's been really interesting. These librarians are mid-career or closer to retirement. All are excited about the opportunities, but each is learning differently.

7½. Play. !

No comments: